Wednesday, November 30, 2011

We're back in the hospital

Sunday night, Rosie was very restless and not acting like herself.  When we got up, she seemed hot and her temperature was 101.4.  My mom advised we go to the hospital immediately.  After the pediatrician saw her and confirmed her fever, she was admitted.  Apparently it is very, very bad for a newborn to have a fever.
As soon as we got there, the did all the blood tests and did a lumbar puncture to test for bacteria in her cerebral spinal fluid too.  This was heartbreaking to watch my tiny little girl in so much pain.



 She is looking so much better!

Her poor little legs!

Anyway, she has been on some serious antibiotics, lots of tylenol and mostly unclothed since we got here Monday morning.  We got the news that her urine tested positive for Group B Strep.  I didn't test positively, so we're guessing the culture was botched a bit.  Rosie got the bacteria from me when she was born.  But babies cannot handle the bacteria like adults can.  I haven't done too much research (on purpose- I don't want to be burdened at this point with all the possible complications), but this is much more serious than I originally thought.  We're going to be at the hospital for at least a week, so long as things continue to improve.  She definitely is doing better.  Her fever is coming down and she seems less irritable.  I am glad that things are going so well considering where we could be.


Ken with the baby


Grandma Kindt with our Rosie

9 comments:

Holly said...

Oh my goodness, poor baby. I'm praying for little Rosie!!

Amanda Duke said...

Poor baby :( I hope she has a full recovery and can go home soon.

Tianna said...

I'm so glad you took her in and discovered what was causing her fever. Group B Strep is bad news. :(

I tested positive to Group B Strep and did a *ton* of research into it because I didn't want to have an IV while in labor with my son, whom I had on October 17th (I wanted another intervention free birth). Because I found out how serious it was, I had the IV with two full doses of heavy duty antibiotics.

I hope she makes a full recovery! You are in my prayers.

Annegirl said...

Oh Kelsey how scary! We will pray for you!! She is beautiful, even sick.

amanda said...

Kelsey! I hope Rosie gets better soon...when I learned about group b strep in school it scared my pants off. We miss you you and are praying for you!

Jenny Willardson said...

Oh Kelsey, that is so heartbreaking to have so much happen to a little newborn. I pray the best for Rosie and for you - it's tough on Mommas too. Such a beautiful little girl you have :)

Emily said...

Good luck Kelsey! We will have little Rosie and your family in our prayers.

Susan said...

I am praying for you. I hope your little girl gets better soon.

Shanna Selin said...

Calvin had to be on antibiotics for group b strep for a week too. It is so hard having a baby in the hospital! I hope she gets better soon. We are praying for her and for you guys!